Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Willingness

I feel like the word I pick randomly each day is just perfect!

Today's word is: willingness.

Earlier this afternoon, I listened to a free Q&A Teleconference (yeah, that's the first time I've heard of such a thing too, at least that didn't involve my job!) with Whitney Johnson and the topic was "Be the Hero of Your Own Story". She is the author of a book, Dare, Dream, Do: Remarkable Things Happen When You Dare to Dream.

She gave some great advice about how to take the first steps towards pursuing our dreams.  Most of her advice centered around the idea of willingness - to being open, to give ourselves permission, to risk failure, to accept ourselves as we are, believe in our potential, face some of our fears.  We have to be willing to be vulnerable. These things rarely come natural to us so we must be willing to do them!

For some reason there is a common feeling that we are not privileged enough to pursue our dreams.  I've felt this way myself, like "what makes me so special that I get to pursue my dreams and other can't?"  I don't know where this comes from but it's just a story we tell ourselves with no real validity. We need to try and drop the stories we tell ourselves, be willing to take some risks and go for it!

Dare to dream
Dare to dream!

What are you willing to do today to help you take that first or next step towards a goal?  Even if not some big, life-changing dream - maybe it's just pursuing a new hobby that you're not sure you'll be good at.  Are you willing to at least find out?  So what if you aren't good at?  You may still enjoy it and if nothing else you learned something new about yourself!  

No comments:

Post a Comment