Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Oh, family....

Family.  We all have them - family members - in some sense of the word.  Some people we consider family because we are so close to them even if we are not actually related in the traditional sense.  Other people we are actually related to yet we can't get far enough away from them. 

Today is my nephew's 7th birthday. 

I've been disagreeing with my mother alot lately - she doesn't really understand my life choices.  My sister (said nephew's mother) and I tend to connect only when it's about the kids and otherwise we don't see eye to eye on much.  I like her husband but we still don't know eachother very well.  Then there's her ex-husband, said nephew's father, who I have known for a very long time but I do not like or respect him.  Then there's his new wife.  And can't forget my dad, who I do get along with but in a distant, infrequent kind of way.  His wife, who is very sweet and again... get along with somewhat distantly.  My mom is decent to my dad and his wife but there's lots of tension behind the scenes. And my younger sister, who I am actually best friends with and we share all of the same sentiments I've stated here.

Yet we all come together for my nephew's (there's actually three nephews all together), or my niece's, birthday.  It's usually just this group of us.  Once or twice I've brought a boyfriend.  Sometimes my sister's new husband's mother or brother (and his family) are there.

It's alot of shallow conversation.  It's alot of "How's work?".  Alot of focusing our attention on the kids to avoid conversation with each other.  Sometimes there's gossip if some chunk of the group described is missing. 

This is my family.  I want us to be closer.  I want us to be more open.  I want there to be less of this tension and shallow connection.  Don't we all crave close connections, especially with family?  Does anyone else in my family feel the same way?  How do we break the cycle that has been going on for years and years and decades really.  What can I do?    

No comments:

Post a Comment