Thursday, April 14, 2011

Where I am

Where I am.... well, you may be wondering what I mean by this.  It is not a question, like, "Where am I?" but more of a statement, "Where I am".  I've been doing a decent amount of reading recently over the last few months.  There is a theme that has been pretty consistent in what I've been reading, and that is the idea of being present. 

Sounds like such a simple idea but as I've read more about it and given it more thought, I've realized it is a concept with quite a bit of depth.  It's still a brand new concept for me and I am still figuring out what it really means and how to really do it - to be present.  Present in conversations, in daily tasks, at work.  Of course physically I am present, but am I REALLY present most of the time?  How often are we distracted by our thoughts without even realizing it?

Next time you are driving, getting ready for work, or having a casual conversation... take a moment to stop and think about what you are actually doing, and I can be almost certain that you aren't thinking about driving, getting ready for work or what you are actually having a conversation about.  Your mind is likely elsewhere, far off from the actual task at hand.

"So what?", you may ask. It seems natural to get lost in our own thoughts.  Story of my life... being lost in my own thoughts.  I am a thinker, big time!  But after I started to pick up on this theme, I came across the concept of mindfulness, which is, as I understand it, the practice of being present, simply put.  And mindfulness practice has been described to me over and over as a way to see myself and others as they truly are, view myself and others with less judgement and preconceptions, live a life of joy and happiness; and stress and pain (emotional and otherwise, I suppose) reduction is just a bonus byproduct.  I don't know about anyone else, but I was instantly intrigued by the concept. 

The suggestions I recieved on how to start practicing mindfulness, or being present, is to just start where you are. And if you get off track, just start again where you are. 

So, THIS is Where I Am.

1 comment:

  1. The lack of time and a busy schedule poses a significant problem. There are so many hours in a day but it is possible to squeeze in personal development for 1 hour a week despite the most severe of hectic schedules.

    ilchi lee brain education

    ReplyDelete