Monday, April 18, 2011

A Lesson from the Lost Boys of Sudan

I watched this movie last night - God Grew Tired of Us: The Story of Lost Boys of Sudan.  This clip of portions of the movie captures a perspective that I think is unrealized by many people. 



What a fresh, raw look at American cultural norms.  So many things we just accept as normal without question.  These men are nothing short of admirable - from their will to survive as young boys escaping Sudan to their motivation to succeed when resettled in America, despite the continuous challenges.  All while maintaining a sense of humor.

This movie encourages me to reevaluate my own judgements and preconceptions about both American and foreign cultures; and to continue to feed my cultural awareness.  Not to mention how much more I appreciate the stability in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment