Saturday, April 23, 2011

"I'm sick of the bar scene"

I first dabbled in online dating back in 2005, WAY before it was socially acceptable to admit.  I'm not even sure it is today?  Anyways, I did it then and I am doing it again now.  And it has me thinking on this rainy Saturday morning.  Pretty much every profile I read says something along the lines of:
I never thought I would do online dating but I am sick of the bar/club scene so here I am
Are drinking establishments and the internet really the only two options people consider viable meeting places for potential partners?  REALLY? 

I'm not sure which seems like more of a risk - meeting people while either both or one of you is intoxicated and displaying some watered down (or over-exaggerated, depending on what kind of drunk you/they are) version of yourselves...

OR...

the internet, where everyone puts their ideal versions of themselves in 3000 characters or less, which inevitably leads to disappointment on both sides. 

I'm inclined to read back in history or take a survey of older generations to see how they met their partners.  And maybe take a survey in other countries too.  Because being 20-something and living around Boston since I entered my 20's - this is all I have been exposed to in terms of how to meet new people... drinking establishments and the internet.  There was college and there is work - but in both, the social aspect of each always involved a drinking establishment.  And I don't go to church.  And I know there are these social activity clubs but where do you find people for those... on the internet. 

Maybe I just need to accept the times we live in today.  I definitely need to find a hobby, I suppose.  But I'd really prefer to understand all of the alternatives too.  If there are any...

No comments:

Post a Comment