Monday, April 18, 2011

More Disillusionment... of Parents, Role Models, etc.

I'm not sure how common this is, but I can't imagine that it is uncommon:  the disillusionment of your parents, your role model, mentor or someone you look up to. At some point, you realize they aren't as all-knowing, trustworthy, perfect, can-do-no-wrong, etc. as you - as a kid, or even as an adult - thought they were.  Maybe some people are actually as all-knowing as they seem.  On the other hand, sometimes you never realize they aren't. 

What do you do when you become disillusioned by someone you look up to?  Someone you thought had all the answers, someone that you trusted and depended on for guidance.  Where do you turn?  How do you make sense of it?

I'm still searching for the answers myself.  It is a recent experience for me, as a grown adult, and while I have the intellect and resources to get on with life just fine, it almost feels like a loss that I need to grieve and come to terms with.  Realizing the limitations of a significant influence in my life at a time when I am eager to learn and grow is extremely difficult.  I know I can get the guidance and information I crave elsewhere, but I will need to seek it out, and it won't be coming from someone I have known and trusted my entire life. 

I try to look at this experience for what it is - disillusionment, the loss of illusion, the loss of naive faith and trust.  The illusion that this one person would guide me through an entire lifetime was unrealistic.  Had I not realized this, I myself may have been limited in personal growth had I accepted the illusion that this person was all-knowing.

I know I have the intellect and resources to get on with life just fine, but what about those that do not?  What about people that lose the person or people that they depend on for guidance and then find themselves lost?  I hope to be able to help someone, or some people, in that situation some day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment