Monday, June 6, 2011

Congruency

I'm currently taking a Graduate-level course in counseling - "Counseling Theory and Practice I" to be precise.  This is something I have wanted to do for way too long and the ultimate goal is to actually apply and get accepted to a program towards a Masters degree in Counseling Psychology.

A description of the condition of CONGRUENCE by Carl Rogers in the context of the counselor/client relationship:
It has been found that personal change is facilitated when the psychotherapist is what he is, when in the relationship with his client he is genuine and without "front" or facade, openly being the feelings and attitudes which at that moment are flowing in him.  - Excerpt from On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy
Let me just ask... is it possible that the premise of my blog is, in a sense, synonymous with one of the foundations of effective psychotherapy (according to Rogers)?  At this moment, I am feeling like that might be the case... who knew!

"Where I Am" is about being present, becoming aware, and becoming CONGRUENT with my words, actions, etc. and pursuing a life that allows me to do so - in all aspects, not just as part of the pursuit to become a counselor.  I realize this is not a unique experience amongst people in general, but it is new for me and it is unique in the context of my life and experiences.  For this reason, I was struck by the irony of the concept of congruency and its timeliness in my first reading assignment for this class. 

What an amazing experience to actually feel like THIS is where I am supposed to be...

... THIS is where I am!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment